Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Confessions of a wounded lifter

Yes, it happened, just like I warned you all not to do. After a class, without re-warming my shoulders, I injured my arm practicing Turkish Get Up.
So what did I learn?
  1. Why many coaches and gym owners fear the kettlebell - That warm-up is key, especially joint mobility. If a coach doesn't have a thorough mobility routine, watch out! With TGU, the shoulders must be well mobilized and warmed to avoid trauma. With Swings and Windmills, the hips must be adequately prepared.
  2. Why I love living in Boulder - This blog post could be called "The joys of hiking in and around Boulder." As most athletes know, injury is a horrible experience on the mental/emotional level and physically. A body that's conditioned to work wants to continue putting out BTUs regularly. To satiate my body's need to sweat, the local hiking and biking trails have been a Godsend!
  3. Even if I'm not lifting I can still teach - And thanks to a group of dedicated students, I don't even need to demonstrate!
Join the upcoming Mallory Cave hike/bouldering event, this Saturday June 25th.
We will leave the NCAR parking area at 10 am.
Please call or email if you want to join but might be late - 303-514-1445  kettlebellfitness@yahoo.com
Bring rock climbing or five finger shoes if you want to boulder along the hike! A chalk bag could be useful.

Best wishes to all for a safe and healthy month!
Christian
www.MindBodyEnergetics@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment